Thought for the Day

Monday, September 15, 2003

I Did-A-Run 10K 2003

I decided to do the I Did-A-Run 10K yesterday, basically because registration was free for members of the Arizona Road Racers. I've been a member for a while now, although I haven't done many group runs with them.
There were no mile markers, so I have no splits. It was a nice race on horse trails in the desert. No hills, just a few places were you ran down into a gully and out the other side. I had an unremarkable time, 45:16, 1:35 slower than my PR, but I am thrilled with it.
It was a trail run, which should be expected to be slower than a road race, but the main reason I'm happy with this time is what I did the day before. I ran twenty hilly miles in South Mountain Park the previous morning. I did what we call Double Dobbins, twice up Summit Rd. to Dobbins Lookout, about 2,000 ft. in 5 miles, and back down again.
It probably was tempting fate to try a race the next day, but I felt fine, and I told myself there was no pressure to perform. If I felt any reason to slack off, I would.
I felt fine the whole way. I think I slowed down around three miles, but put on a push in the last couple of miles.
I had my doubts about how ready I was going to be for the Long Beach Marathon on 10/12. Now I'm sure it will be all right.



No comments:

Powered By Blogger