Thought for the Day

Saturday, October 15, 2011

Bad-Assedness

I wrote this a few days ago in the "Diabetics Who Run Marathons" group on TuDiabetes. It occurs to me that it might be OK for a blog post, and I'm not writing much else. So here it is.

So... I've been thinking about the headline "Stunts to Impress" in Higdon's advice on multiple marathons, and the much appreciated comments on me being "BADASS" and "amazing."
Of course I'm often looking for opportunities in the conversation here to brag about things I've done. I like to be called bad-ass. And I don't see anything wrong with that. Some of the greatest achievements of mankind have been done so someone could say the equivalent of "Look, Ma! No hands!"
A good part of people doing this is that it expands the realm of possibilities for others.
In that spirit I feel like I should point out that I know a type 1 diabetic who's run about twice as many marathons as I have, and run them faster.
I've met two diabetics who have gotten the silver buckle at the Western States 100 mile endurance run, and I'm aware of at least one other whom I haven't met. You get the silver buckle for finishing in less than 24 hours. There are probably others I'm not aware of.
There is a type 1 diabetic world class marathon and ultra marathon runner.
I could go on. I guess the point is that while I like being called "BADASS" and that's at least part of why I do some of the things I do, I'm aware that there are others more bad-ass than I am.
And 14 years ago I was a diabetic runner afraid to try a marathon. I was inspired and comforted by reading about or meeting other diabetic athletes, and not just the fantastic athletic ones, but the ordinary folks like me.
Wherever you're at with diabetes and exercise, there are people ahead of you and behind you on the bad-ass scale. Well, since everyone is different, and every life situation is different, there really isn't a scale we can all be measured against.
We are all inspiring each other.
Reading back over this, I kind of rambled. I hope I had something to say.
"Stunts to Impress" aren't necessarily a bad thing.

In other news, along with a contingent of runners from Glucomotive, I ran the Denver Rock 'N' Roll Marathon last Sunday.

4 comments:

Scully said...

I have enjoyed seeing you back in the blogosphere, I keep meaning to mention that.
thanks for this post too, I was unaware of any super badass running diabetics. I knew they were out there but I didn't know they were buckling silvers!

Agent Nero said...

I echo Scully's comments, Jer. You'll forever be a bad-ass inspiration to me.

The Diabetic Camper said...

It makes me sad to not be able to read any of your information on tudiabetes. They won't give me a login to Phendra even though I have paid my dues. Keep living the dream and the blog to keep us outsiders in the know. I have a diabetes 15k trail run next weekend and I am super jazzed!

Diabetes311 said...

I am so inspired. I was diagnosed with type 1 at 44 and have had alot of anxiety about exercise etc. the only thing that has helped me is low carbing...but I am eager to start back running. Thx for sharing.J.

Powered By Blogger