Thought for the Day

Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Amazing

Last week I finally went to see an eye doctor. I was a couple of years overdue, which is ill-advised for someone who has been diabetic as long as I have, about 35 years.
But I finally got in there, got my eyesight checked out, then had my pupils dilated and my retinas scanned for signs of diabetic retinopathy. This concern about retinopathy is why I should be seeing an eye doctor every six months or so.
However, the doctor, after using a machine that looked like a microscope to stare into my dilated pupils with bright light in a darkened room, from every angle, for what seemed like an hour, just said, "Amazing..." and turned and started to make notes in my chart.
He said my retinas aren't perfect, but he was expecting to see a lot more damage than he saw. He said it was really quite amazing.
He asked me if I kept tight control of my blood sugar, and when I hesitated, he added, "... or are you just lucky?"
Well, I'm lucky that I've had this hobby of running all of my life. That has probably helped. Many years ago I had an endo who prescribed an ACE inhibitor as a precaution. I took that for a couple of years, and it probably helped. I have also taken pycnogenol, and that may have something to do with it.
And I'm probably just lucky.
But the other part of the eye exam didn't go so well. For the first time in my life I'm wearing bifocals. I put off getting glasses for as long as I could. My wife suspects that it's taken me this long to see an eye doctor because I was afraid of getting glasses.
If that's true, then I'm sticking with a claim of ignorance. It was entirely subconscious.
My doctor tells me I could probably pass a driving test without glasses, but maybe not.
So the next time you see me, please don't call me four eyes.

3 comments:

Scott K. Johnson said...

Fantastic news about the great reviews from the eye doc. Way to go!

Unknown said...

Awesome, I wont be the only one running the streets of Phoenix with glasses on now!

PJ said...

"I see no signs of diabetes." It's one of the best compliments a diabetic can get with respect to eyes, isn't it?

Thanks for your comment on my blog. I love meeting other crazy Ironman diabetics like myself.

I'm looking forward to following your adventures as you train for IMAZ! Get ready for a fun year!

Powered By Blogger